This website is for information on expectations for my students, resources, and access to additional material relating to specific courses. I also link to my professional social media and some of my research and writing.
Citing in APA is a time-consuming pain, but it’s part of our job as scientists. Here are some common citation styles that you may run into. These are references page citations only.
The things you need to know for my classes. Devoid of course specific stuff.
Office Hours: 11:30-1, Mondays, SEA 2.412
Informal Chat Hour: Wednesdays, 11:15-12:15, Texas Coffee Traders in GDC
Former students are welcome at Informal Chats!
- Please include the course number (not unique id) in your email title.
- If you talk to me about something before or after class that includes an action item for me, please email me a follow up note describing what we talked about and what I said I’d do.
- If you are unhappy or confused about a grade or feedback on an assignment, please talk to the person who graded it first.
- Don’t go to the TA about one of my comments or me about the TA’s comments.
- If a meeting between the three of us is warranted, I’ll set it up after you have met with whomever reviewed your assignment first.
- If you need accommodations for an emergency or a disability, let me know as soon as possible, and document through the proper university office.
- If you have suggestions for guest speakers for the course, let me know as close to the beginning of the semester as possible.
Fun with Grammar and Grammar Apps
- Active vs. Passive Voice
- Grammar Girl: Colons
- Grammar Girl: Semicolons
- The Oatmeal does the Apostrophe
- Other ways to say “says” in papers
- Reducing Wordiness
- Word Misuse
- Hedging vs. Generalizing
- Business Idioms and Jargon
- Copyright Law Basics
- 10 Types of Plagiarism
- Quoting vs. Paraphrasing
- Ask for permission, not forgiveness. (I am more likely to be forgiving in advance.)
- Proofread your work.
- Participate in class and online.
- Treat each other with respect and compassion.
- Treat yourself with respect and compassion.
- Engage in critical thinking.
- Be creative.
- Give me feedback on what works and what doesn’t.
- Communicate. I can’t help you if I don’t know what’s wrong.
- Don’t cheat, lie, or plagiarize. Seriously.
- Don’t ask me to inflate your grade. Really, just don’t.